I am just coming down from my high of winning the IroncupcakeLeeds competition yesterday! When she announced first place as “Lisa’s Life’s a Beach” it took me a second to realise that it was actually me who had won! I’d tried something completely different for these cupcakes whilst still trying to keep to a flavour that everyone would like. This entailed making the ice cream that went into the cupcakes – as I mentioned in my earlier blog, my first attempt at making ice cream, but it felt wrong to put a ready made one into the cupcakes.
Here is the recipe I used –
Life’s a Beach Cupcakes
Toffee Cake Batter Ice cream
2 cups/500ml Thick cream
397g tin of Condensed milk
1 cup/250g cake batter mix (I used Wrights Baking “Toffee Cake Mix”)
• Place deep baking dish or a 2 litre freezer safe container in the freezer to chill.
• Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form.
• In another bowl, mix the condensed milk with the cake batter.
• Fold the cream into the condensed milk until combined.
• Pour into container and leave to chill for 45 mins until sides start to freeze
• Remove from freezer and beat vigorously to break down ice crystals.
• Return to freezer and repeat beating every thirty mins for 3-6 hours until ice cream is frozen and creamy.
Ice-cream bread cupcakes
1.5 ltr Toffee Cake Batter Ice Cream
2 cups/300g Self Raising Flour
• Pre-heat oven to Gas mark 5
• Remove ice cream from the freezer to soften for 10-15 mins.
• Combine flour and ice cream thoroughly
• Fill cupcake cases or ice cream cones to approx 2/3 full (they rise a lot!)
• Bake for 18-22 minutes
250g Icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
• Whisk/Beat butter and sugar until fully combined
• Add milk and vanilla, continue to whisk until light and fluffy (5-10 mins)
50g soft brown sugar
2 tbsp syrup
• Melt butter and sugar
• Add cream and syrup and cook to a very slight simmer
Inject butterscotch sauce into the centre of cupcakes (I used a piping bag to do this)
Top cupcakes with buttercream in desired pattern.